- Operating System (OS) of the computer system should be upgraded promptly. Newer version of the operating system would help you make your system more secure.
- Latest version of Browsers should be used to connect to Internet as they afford higher level of security.
- Installing personal firewall on your computer system will provide added level of security.
- Installation of Antivirus softwares on your computer system will reduce the risk of virus attacks. Continuous updation of these antivirus softwares will offer more resistance to newer viruses.
- You can eliminate potential risk caused through pop-up windows by removing any spyware or adware installed on your computer, using spyware/adware removal softwares.
- Be sure the Web page you are viewing offers encryption of your data. Often you will see a lock symbol in the lower right-hand corner of your browser window and/or the Web address of the page you are viewing will begin with "https://...” The "s" indicates "secured" and means the Web page uses encryption.
- Downloads from unfamiliar sources may contain hidden programs or viruses that can compromise your computer's security.
- When not in use, disconnect your computer system from the Internet to avoid unwanted access to the information on your system. Even if you have a firewall installed, this is a step you can take to help protect yourself.
- If you are using a sensitive application like Banking please logout completely after use by following the under noted steps in that order.
- Logout the Application by clicking on logout button.
- Close all the Browser windows.
- Install a screen saver with password protection..